Water: the cure-all

Day five of no dairy.  I think it's going pretty well.  A lot easier than I thought it would be.  The challenge for me now, is to drink more water. It shouldn't be a challenge, right?  I should be able to just keep a glass of water on the table next to me and refill it once it's empty...then repeat, right?  Right.

My mom used to drink a ton of water.  She'd have her water bottle with her at all times.  This was before personal water bottles were the "it" thing and you didn't find entire aisles of bottled water in the stores.  This was before Food and Water Watch showed us that you can't always believe what you read on the back of a bottle when it comes to the source.  She used to have this old beat up plastic water bottle that everyone knew was hers, because she was one of the only people I knew of that carried one.  These were the old-school water bottles, before BPA and all the other toxic chemicals were revealed as dangerous and we all started carrying around stainless steel bottles.  I wish now, that I'd started my habit of drinking water back then.

I think that the water obsession may have skipped a generation.  My daughter is an avid water drinker.  I could really learn a thing or two from her!

I was talking to my nutritionist friend and she was telling me that you should drink one ounce of water per pound.  Then there's the other adage that you should drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day.  That's 64 oz of water, but if we go by one ounce per pound, we're looking at double that!  That's a lot of water.  According to the Mayo Clinic, the Institute of Medicine suggests 13 cups of "beverages" for the average man and 9 cups of "beverages" for the average woman.  That seems pretty close to the 8 by 8 rule.

So, for now, I'll shoot for those 8 cups of water a day.  We'll see how it goes.  Until next time, drink up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enchilada Casserole, Slow-cooker style

A Budding Yogi

Yoga: 30-Day Challenge!