Add another "-free" to the list!

Wow, it's been a while since I've blogged.  Well, blogging hasn't been on the top of my list of things to do lately, mostly because it's been a VERY long list of things to do...
 
See, I could be blogging about Occupy this and Occupy that or the recent school closure discussions that have been hovering over San Diego Unified like a stinky cloud lately, but I wont.  No, today I really just feel like blogging about myself.

As a gluten-free eater I've had to rearrange my diet and pay more attention to nutrition labels.  As the mom of a daughter who was born with a dairy and soy allergy I got used to delving deeper into the nutritional content of everything in the house.  I had to remove all dairy and soy from my already scant diet while nursing my daughter, which aided in my milk supply drying up and me losing all of my baby weight rather quickly.  I noticed after I stopped nursing my daughter I still had trouble digesting dairy (or soy, who knows).

Oooh, intestines!!

Now that my daughter is four and has grown out of her birth-related allergies/intolerance, I have been focusing on just the gluten, wheat, rye, oats, barley, etc. for my diet restrictions.  Lately I've noticed that perhaps there may be another intolerance lurking within the walls of my intestines...It's not a fun thing to think about and most people don't like talking about their digestion habits.  Most of us either spend hours on Web MD or we sheepishly ask our doctors about why we're always so bloated, dancing around the real issue.  I have been refusing to admit an intolerance to dairy for a while.  Sure I cut back on it a year ago but MAN, I love cheese!

But, alas, I think the cheese has gotten the best of me.  I'm not the only one, though.  I know a lot of other women who have fallen victim to the dairy intolerance lately.  It seems that once we turn 30, a lot more than just wrinkles and grey hairs seem to reveal themselves.  According to WebMD, "Sometimes people who have never had problems with milk or dairy products suddenly have lactose intolerance. This is more common as you get older."

I've heard that technically we aren't supposed to be able to tolerate milk after we're one or two years old, anyway.  Those people who can tolerate lactose are more like genetic freaks than those who cannot digest lactose.  Though, at this point I can't remember where I heard that (but I will find out!).

So, today begins a week of being dairy-free.  This will be tough.  I know it will be tough because my diet often includes GF bagels and neufchatel, pepperoni and cheese, grilled cheese, or rice crackers and cheese.  Notice the cheese trend?  It will be hard.  I will do my best to check in and blog about my progress.  Perhaps it will help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Budding Yogi

Yoga: 30-Day Challenge!

Enchilada Casserole, Slow-cooker style